Historical Walking Tour of the Redding Railroad Reservation
Sponsored by the Behrens-Eaton House Museum
Meet at the Amtrak Station, 200 yards northwest of the Lorenz Hotel. Mike Grifantini will lead this exploration of the oldest part of downtown Redding. Redding was created because of the railroad and this tour focuses on the area that sprang up quickly after the railroad reached here in 1872. We will see the locations of many "firsts", including the first store, fire station and post office, as well as part of the city's early red light district and Chinatown. Of course the story of the Ruggles Brothers will be explained and participants will see where all of the nastiness really happened! The walk will cover slightly over one mile of flat ground on sidewalks. This tour is sponsored by the Behrens-Eaton House Museum, will take approximately 1 1/4 hr. and will proceed in any weather other than heavy rain. The tour is free but the guide requests that participants make a donation to the museum.
Date & Time
- February 11, 2017