DIY: Starburst Mirror
05/30/2017 11:00AM ● Published by Enjoy Magazine
Gallery: DIY: Starburst Mirror [8 Images] Click any image to expand.
Story by Kayla Stock
Photos by Christy Canafax
• Contractor shims (found at hardware stores)
• 12-inch mirror
• 11-inch wood circle
• Glue gun
• Strong glue
• Hanging hook
• Gold spray paint
• Heavy book or weight
1. Use strong glue to attach wood circle to the back of the mirror. There should be a one-inch border from the end of the circle to the end of the mirror. Lay a heavy object on top of the mirror to set the glue. After glue is set, hammer the hanging hook into the wood.
2. Break sticks by sliding half of the stick under your foot and pulling up on the opposite end, it will break in a natural spot. Tip: All sticks will be uneven and that is how you want them. Each stick should break into a short stick and a long stick.
3. Spray paint one side of the sticks. This side will face the front of the mirror.
4. Lay the short sticks around the mirror evenly on top of the one-inch border on the backside of the mirror to create the first layer of your starburst. Then glue the sticks down where you placed them around the mirror.
5. Using this same process, grab the long sticks and spread the sticks evenly between the gaps of the first layer, and glue them on the backside of the mirror.
6. Hang where desired.
TIPS: Choose three different size mirrors to display a set on your wall. Another idea is to add your mirror to a gallery wall of photos or art to create some texture.