The Latest Procedures in Sculpting and Filling
● By Melissa Gulden
Give & Take
By Melissa Gulden
In my last article, I discussed some of the many skincare options available, such as laser resurfacing, Ultherapy and Botox. This month, I spoke with some of the top dermatologists around the North State and they gave me the scoop on the latest in sculpting and filling.
1. One procedure that seems to be all the rage is CoolSculpting, in which unwanted fat is frozen away with no surgery or downtime. People literally get this done on a lunch hour, according to Tiffany Digiuseppe at Artistry Esthetics & Laser. This FDA-approved approach uses controlled cooling to eliminate fat that is otherwise resistant to diet and exercise. Referred to as “Hollywood’s best kept secret,” CoolSculpting is quickly becoming the go-to option for fat elimination. First, you’ll have a consultation with your specialist, who will then decide how many visits you will need and what areas to target. Popular areas include the inner and outer thighs and muffin top—places that tend to store fat. CoolSculpting uses precisely controlled cooling to effectively target the fat cells beneath the surface. Treated fat cells are then crystallized (frozen) and die, leaving a more sculpted you.
2. Another way to avoid surgery while achieving a more sculpted figure is through Smartlipo—liposuction with lasers. Most laser-assisted liposuction procedures only take 60 to 90 minutes to perform. Of course, this depends on the number of areas being treated, but in most cases, patients can return to work and normal activities within days. Patients should see immediate results after surgery and their newly contoured body will reveal a more defined shape over time.
3. Many options exist for fillers, as well. Juvéderm instantly smoothes away the deeper lines on your face. As you age, your skin loses elasticity and moisture. This normal aging process, plus environmental factors such as sun exposure, causes facial lines to form, including moderate to severe wrinkles and folds. Juvéderm is a nonsurgical treatment that contains a modified hyaluronic acid. It’s gently injected under the skin to lift, smooth and plump. Julie Kaplan at Disappearing Act says fillers are a lot of fun because you get immediate gratification. “They are popular because you look better right away. You can turn back the clock in five minutes.”
4. Another procedure growing in popularity is Kybella, a prescription injection that specifically targets a double chin. When injected into the fat under the chin, Kybella causes the destruction of fat cells. Again, the number of treatments necessary is based on your desired chin profile.
5. When you hear the word “facelift,” it may conjure images of celebrities who took things a bit too far. Well, times have changed, and facelifts have come a long way. There are now such procedures as QuickLift mini facelifts, which can be done right in the doctor’s office, not a hospital. Dr. Daniel Lensink, perhaps best known for eyelid surgery, knew there was a demand for Medi-Spa-type procedures. He says his clients wanted more than “lasers, potions and lotions, but didn’t want the deep plane facelift.” So he began performing the Quicklift and the Uplift Mini-Mini Facelift. His criteria are: Natural-appearing, long-lasting, affordable and less invasive. He says he wants all of his clients to walk out feeling like they got more than they thought—not less. Meanwhile, 3D Fat Transfer replaces volume lost by aging. Using pinprick incisions, fat taken from either the abdomen or under the chin is injected into the desired areas. Because it’s your own fat, it doesn’t reabsorb as quickly as other procedures. Lensink says all of these treatments can be performed in his office, and do not tend to be very invasive—only minor bruising and swelling, with very little recovery time.
It’s a new era for fats, fillers and lifts. You no longer have to be at the mercy of anesthesia and months of recovery—get treated while checking your email on your lunch hour! Many specialists who offer these treatments here in the North State host events and hold specials, so check their websites for more information. Beauty may be only skin deep, but it’s the skin we live in, and we want the best.